Friday, April 27, 2012

A Few of KaLee's "Mama" Hints

We all have things that work for our kids, but I know that I am always looking for good ideas.  I'll admit, most of my advice will have more application for those with multiple children, but I'll try to think back to my time with only Easton and come up with a few. :)

I'd love to hear your hints, etc. in the comments!
  • I always try to have fruit snacks and stickers/a piece of paper in my diaper bag.  These two things have saved MANY a doctor office waiting room or other store waiting experience.
  • The timer is your best friend.  Even kids who can't understand "time" can watch numbers go down and understand that when it rings it is their turn, etc.
  • I started counting backwards from 5 when I'm serious about them obeying and need them to make a good decision quickly.  Then counting up from 1 is used for races and other things.  I think that distinction has helped.
  • My kids take one nap per day in a crib/bassinet.  This is hard to do when you have those snuggly newborns and grandma/grandpa/dad/anyone is dying to hold them but really keeps the "arm sickness" as we call it around here at bay.  So far, none of my kids have gotten too used to napping while being held.
  • As evidenced by the weeks that Devynee spent with socks on her hands, I try really hard to not have my kids be thumb/finger suckers.  I figure I can take away a binky or blankie, but I can't cut off a finger. 
  • When nursing with multiple children I do one of the following: 1. Turn on a television show for those 20 minutes so you know where the child/ren are and they are semi-entertained. 2. Start the timer for 20 minutes so they know how long it will be before you can help them with that puzzle, etc. 3. Have them gather books and read to them while I nurse and they hold the book and turn the pages. 4. Be okay with them crying.  Every kid has to learn to share. :)
  • Speaking of nursing.  It is okay to set the baby down (who will definitely cry, by the way) while you discipline/deal with the others.  I never let nursing be the "do anything you want to do and get away with it" time.  The baby survives and picks up nursing as soon as the other children are dealt with.
Without getting into sleep training and discipline (two very controversial topics) that is all I can think of for now. I'm sure as soon as I hit post I'll think of something awesome that I should have added.

No comments: