Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Elk

So it's time for the story of the Elk Hunt. Grant, my father-in-law, and I went out for the evening hunt yesterday. To be honest I was starting to get a little discouraged as the month went on. The area where we have tags to hunt, you can shoot any elk for the month of October then the tag turns into cow only for the months of November and December. There were various times where I could have taken a cow easily, however during the month of October is the only time you can shoot a bull, so I was holding out.

Anyway as Grant and I were out yesterday we debated where to go and look for elk. After deciding where we ought to go, we were off. We were hiking up separate ridges to try and cover more area. Then Grant gets a hold of me to tell me there were about 50 head over the next ridge from him. So I hustled over, and we popped over to see them and decided to move a little closer, so coming up on the next out cropping of rocks we decided to take the shot.

At first we could only see one spike in the heard (a spike elk is a bull that is a year old, and his antlers are just one beam that stick straight up off his head). We looked through the herd some more and there was one that forked, so I decided that I was going to shoot him. I must say that Grant is very generous, he saw the heard and let me be the one to take a shot.

So I rested on the rocks, aimed, and fired! He was hit! I loaded another shell in the gun, but didn't need it. He staggered a few yards and went down. He was about 270 or so yards away, it was impressive, if I do say so myself!!!

Thanks again Grant, I had a wonderful time!





2 comments:

Clay said...

Congrats on the elk. Looks good. How did the knee hold up through all this?

Erica said...

That is a fine looking Animal, great job!! Grant better get it in gear, or else this will be two years in a row that he has got beat out by the son-in-laws.