Monday, August 27, 2007

And the fun begins...

Ronnie completed his first week of law school. They definitely threw him right into the thick of things. I am so proud of his dedication as he has studied each day (and most nights) to make sure he is prepared for class.

This is a real change from his undergraduate degree.

We have gotten to know quite a few other LDS first-year couples. Ronnie is pretty sure there are 12 of them in his class of 77—not too bad of a percentage. They are all so nice and I can't wait to get to know them a lot better as the year progresses.

We were surprised to find out that Ronnie is the only BYU grad at Wyoming this year but he is surrounded by at least three Utah grads—they like to give him crap.

I am adjusting to my new schedule of most evenings to myself—at first it was quite liberating; I could watch whatever I wanted on television; read for unlimited amounts of time; and do other girly past times like paint my nails, etc.

After only one week, the novelty is wearing off.

There is nothing on television (until the fall season begins), I finished all of the books in my “to read” pile and my nails haven’t begun to chip.

So, I started a hobby that I have wanted to pick up since the purchase of my beloved Bernina.

I am quilting.

Yep. Quilting. I have to say that I love it so far. Now I only wish that I had a dedicated sewing area so my kitchen table wasn’t such a mess.

I finished the binding on a blanket that had been sitting in my closet for 8 years and am now sewing the bedding for this new little one. (I’ll post pictures as soon as I have anything to show for my work. I am still in the cutting stage (the worst stage of the whole process) but hope to have completed projects soon.

And since my back and eyes won’t allow me to quilt for unlimited amounts of time please let me know if you have any good book recommendations—I’m open to just about anything!

4 comments:

Shorter family said...

I am so glad to hear Ronnie is enjoying school and keeping busy. Clay started orientation today.
You are very lucky you can reach your toes to paint. I was too ginormous at that point!
My favorite books are: "Daughters of God" by Wilcox, ALL of Jane Austin's, and some fun ones for mother preparation are: "What to expect in the first year", "Nanny 911", and "Baby 411."
I will be experiencing the quietness around here soon, too. Although Madison will keep me entertained!

KaLee said...

Jen--if you are reading these comments, I wanted you to know that EVERY time I use my rotary cutter I think of you and your poor finger!

Candise said...

KaLee...
Sure enjoy your blog! What do you enjoy reading? I am a fellow reader-we ought to swap lists. I have read some good ones lately.
Later alligator!
Candise

Jen and Joe. said...

OH MY GOSH....I WAS TOTALLY going to comment on how I wish you much carefulness when you use the rotary cutter. Seriously--one careless moment essentially cost me nearly three months of use of my left hand. I do look back and laugh at this point... =)

Have you read "Twilight"?