Monday, August 02, 2010

This is Life or Death, People

Life or Death situation #1:

Let's say, hypothetically, that your name is Donald.  Your entire life you have been going by Donnie.  You are now in a position professionally and personally (at church, etc) where you could change and start to go by Don.  Is Don the more professional name?  Does it even matter?

Life or Death situation #2:

See this picture here?

Is this a townhouse or a duplex (please note that the left side is not connected to another building--it's kinda hard to tell)?

Your help is, as always, appreciated.

16 comments:

Claire said...

Yes to Don!

I say duplex?

Michelle said...

i have no opinion about the name. our current bishop's name is don, and we like him. also, it seems that you'd save a lot of energy throughout the next 30 years by only speaking one syllable each time. then you could go back to calling him donnie in retirement.

and seriously, that home is a TOWNHOUSE DUPLEX. trick question, dear kalee.

Amber said...

Uh looks like a duplex to me... townhomes are usually in groups of more than 2. Also, I would go by Ron, er Don.

Kathryn said...

That is too funny, I would say Ron.. I mean Don too.

They say townhome/condo. We have been looking at them too. In my world they are a duplex but in the listing it is townhome/condo.

Shorter family said...

Well whatever Donnie ends up choosing he will always be Donald Jay or Wonnie to us! Has he considered R-dawg:)

I am going to say Duplex

Stevens Family said...

He could go by Ron professionally and everyone who knows him personally can still call him Ronnie, right? After almost 30 years I can't switch now. Plus, I might add, that I am VERY glad Ronald isn't in the mix. I hate it. Ron is much better. Or he could go the apostle way and do R. Jay Lopez. But then it's "R.J." and that's more little boyish than Ronnie.
I would say that it is a duplex in townhouse style. It is a townhouse but also a duplex. I LOVE IT! Hopefully you guys will be happy there no matter what you call it and whoever wins this argument.

KT said...

No comment on the name, but the house is neither. It is a twin home. That is the exact kind of home we live in and that is what they are called.

Bethany said...

I say Ronnie! I mean, er...Donnie, all the way. It's just his name, you know?! Just tell the professional world to deal with it. Ha! (ie. Casey is kind of a young sounding name, but that's his name!) Oh, but if his boss or someone calls him Ron by choice, sweet. (ie. although I went by Bethany all my life, some of my old teachers called me Beth. No big deal.)

And the townhouse duplex? I am stumped!!!

Alisa said...

I like Don, but I don't think it makes a very big difference so he should just go by whatever he is most comfortable with. He looks like a Don to me, so it wouldn't be weird in that way.

Clay said...

My top votes for the name thing would be Ron-dawg, Pato, or he could resurrect Jay-lo which I think he tried for about 2 days in college.

As far as the housing situation goes, I would call it home (if it were mine), but it doesn't matter what you call it, it has a 2 car garage! That's all that matters.

Steff said...

Ronnie will always be Ronald and to some he may be Ron.
Those homes are called TWIN Homes...

Josh and Gnickie said...

Mr. Lopez would get some respect:) If you are thinking about name changes, just pick a name he always wanted to go by. I think Josh is a good one (haha).

Seriously though, Ronald-Ronnie-Ron are all good guys;) I am sure either of them are qualified attornies.

Pedersen Posse said...

My vote is Ron at work... although Donny Osmond has made the informal name sound formal... Ronnie could totally pull it off too.

I would have have called it a townhome duplex, but I'm not sure. Whatever it's called, it'll be a lot nicer than where you're at now. :) Congrats!

Laura said...

Well, regardless of what he goes by he will always be Ronnie to us :) I can't handle that big of a change. I think whichever name he is more comfortable with is fine. As for the house....is this yours? Pretty sweet - that's what I could call it.

Adam and the Girls said...

Yes, I have to deal with a similar situation. Jeffi, as non-attractive as it is.....is my name. I have decided to start using Jennifer at the University and for performances. Yet, I prefer that my friends call me Jeffi. It is just "who" I am. btw....love the "hypothetical" situation. :) We will miss you here KaLee. I hope you love Cheyenne....but we hope to see you here often. :) ~Jeffi

Unknown said...

In California we call it a townhouse. Ronald Jay came from family names. He can have people call him whatever he would like (but I hope they are nice names). He will always be known as Ronnie (sometimes Ron) to us, Only time we called him Ronald Jay was when he was in trouble.