I think that I take after my mother, in that I want to do things for a reason. I mean really, just doing something to do it is a little silly, especially for holidays.
I've written about a few of the Christmas traditions that I grew up with before. But now that I am the
Let's begin with gifts. I know that this is a pretty touchy subject and that every one's situations are different, I do. That being said, these are the thoughts I have had about it.
- I read about a family where the parents give four gifts each year. One you want, one you need, one you wear and one you read. This really appeals to me. I like that it has structure and gives parents an automatic "to-buy" list. I also love that something to read is already built in (since I like to always give a book when I can).
- Don't get me wrong. I love Santa, but I don't like to focus on him so much. Also, if it comes down to who gives cooler presents, me or Santa--it better be me, because my kids get to see me every day and Santa just shows his face (figuratively) once a year. Also, I think I want Santa to be pretty budget friendly at our house. I think that explaining to the kids that daddy is out of a job and Christmas is going to be light (heaven forbid that happen) is a lot easier than trying to explain why Santa can't produce like he has in the past.
- Sibling gifts. I love, love, love Design Mom's idea of doing homemade gifts for the siblings to give to each other and fully plan on implementing that in the future. For this year, since my little crafters are a bit too, well, little, mama made the gifts (Easton did pick out the fabric for Kendree's and Kendree was a good girl while I sewed Easton's). Pictures coming soon.
- Wrap 24 Christmas books and have the kids open one a day until Christmas. Between board books and actual books I am thisclose to having 24 already, but any that I need to add I'll get from the library.
- Eat what Jesus ate on Christmas Eve. I love this tradition, and I'll admit part of that is because my family usually has halibut handy and eating fish is an incredibly enjoyable experience with halibut around.
- Act out the nativity. I think this will be done with extended family while we live close, since it's more fun to actually fill all of the roles in the story.
I'd love to hear what you do at Christmas time that you could never, ever give up in a million years.
9 comments:
We were just talking about the traditions that we want our little family to have as well. And eating what Jesus ate, is top on the list for me. Thanks for embarrassing mom so we could have that tradition. :)
One tradition I want to carry on in my family, is carols by candle light. In Australia it is hot and the weather is nice and usually permits being outdoors. Around Christmas, particularly the week school lets out, they have school and community carols by candlelight, where the kids put on performances and everyone has a handout with the songs and sings along by candlelight. I LOVE IT!! I have tried, a little unsuccessfully so far, to do this tradition on Christmas Eve. I really want to continue doing it each year.
I really want to start some traditions leading up to Christmas too, centering on Christ and giving and loving others. I am sifting through lots of ideas and trying to find what fits for us. It is fun to think about and I think is a great way to 'get into the christmas spirit'
We always take the kids to a movie on Christmas {I think we're going to see Tangled this year}. It's great because the theater's aren't crowded so kids can be kids without bothering anyone. We started doing this because we don't have any family close by, and with Jeremy's job (UPS), he can't take enough time off for us to go visit family this time of year. So we went to the movies instead of staying home feeling alone - and it's turned into one of our favorite Christmas traditions.
I've been struggling to figure out our Christmas traditions in our little family unit, too. I hope they come naturally with time. Right now we're stuck somewhere between "my family" and "his family" and "our family" and we don't really know what we're supposed to do.
I totally agree that the gifts from mom & dad better be the cool ones! My kids aren't allowed to like Santa more than they like me. I'm not giving him credit for the good stuff.
just a few quick comments----
I LOVE books----my kids get one every birthday and Christmas. . . .other times too---but books are always a VERY acceptable gift at my house---you can never have too many.
Also, about santa, my kids are allowed to ask santa for only one present---after all----santa has a lot of children in the world to give to! (at least this is what I tell my kids to teach them some gratitude, stave off the greediness and build a sense of love for others)
Oh I am a sucker for traditions! I love new PJ's, always did when I was little and still do today. Plus it is cute for pictures to be in new PJ's. Reading the Christmas story on Christmas Eve from the bible is a must. Christmas breakfast is also my other can't live without, think I would die if I didn't do it tradition. I love old traditions, and I love having new ones for my little family.
So...I'm just reading your blog for the first time and butting in! Hope you don't mind...for our family tradition, we only do 3 gifts and that's it. One from mom/dad, one from each other, and one from Santa. I figure the kids get what they need all year long and don't need to be bombarded with extra "crap" at Christmas. So, they know when they make their list, there only better be 3 things on it. Also, we participate in the ward "Secret Santa." They get to shop for someone else and learn that Christmas is giving to those who don't have...being the recipients of "Secret Santa", I know how grateful I was that people contributed for my poor family. And, I'm sure everyone will be in the same situation at one time or another. What goes around, comes around!
I totally agree with your views on Santa. Our kids have never gotten anything "good" from Santa. A few stocking stuffers (nail polish, coloring books, etc) and that's it. Mom & Dad get the glory for everything else. Also, we were hoping to end Santa this year, but the kids haven't been receptive to "the talk" yet so I guess it'll wait until next year and we'll feel them out again.
Traditions: I've been making new pjs for Christmas the past couple of years, so I'd like that to continue. Also, the past two years we've been doing Christmas on our own and have started doing the movie on Christmas day. This year will be Gulliver's Travels (so excited!) considering we never go see a 'new' movie at the theater ever. We will only go see one at the $2 theater, so the kids are excited to see one when it's new. And In-N-Out on Christmas Eve. I love that (just got back from there actually!).
I think my views might be different than most that have postes, but we have been totally eating up christmas around here. I figure my kids are only at this fun, magical age for a couple of years so we are taking full advantage. Granted the kids are still young, so we have gotten away with only 4-5 gifts (one big gift, a couple small, then a story book) for each of them and they think they got away with the jackpot.
Personally, I don't feel like I need the glory at christmas time, Santa can take it...the look on their faces on christmas morning is well worth it. Besides, I like using santa as leverage all through the months of november and december :)
Post a Comment