Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Flag Football and Ambulances

The ironic thing about everything that has happened is that just yesterday afternoon, I was thinking about how nothing really exciting happens to us and I didn’t know if I would continue to be able to write about anything that anyone would want to read. (not that any of you are sitting at the computer in anticipation of my next post.) I sincerely hope that what happened last night is not a direct result of my pondering. If it is, I guess my thoughts have much more power than I give them credit for.

Last night Ronnie had a BYU Intramural flag football game. I was not able to attend due to my last sewing class, but as I was driving there (late) I called to see if it would be worth the trip. I was quickly informed that someone on our team had broken their neck. Naturally, I began to freak out and ask a million questions: Who was it? (our friend Josh) Was he moving? (not much) Was it Ronnie? (no, KaLee, I just said it was Josh) Were they going to the hospital? (the ambulance and fire truck were already there). Now just a quick background—Josh is from Alabama, and we just love him and his wife Gnickie. He broke his neck in high school in two places and was paralyzed for about six months but then regained the use of his legs. (if any of this is wrong, I will correct it later)

As you can imagine, it was a bit of a tiring night. Ronnie arrived home, and I made sure to give him a big hug, then he got ready to go to the hospital to give Josh a blessing. We picked up our good friends Clay and Jess and headed over. When we got to the hospital we were happy to see Josh sitting up, without a neck brace. Soon afterward, the doctor came in and gave him a clear bill of health—he even offered to sign a paper saying that Josh was normal so he could prove it to Gnickie. :)

What we have learned: Flag football is not necessarily a non-contact sport. Josh’s neck is stronger than we realized. Heavenly Father is watching over us all. Good friends are priceless. Even doctors that graduated from the U of U work in Utah County.

P.S. For those of you who may be wondering (Adam) they called the game at 0-0 as a tie.

No comments: