Thursday, October 05, 2006

Manly-Man Hunters

I grew up in a family of hunters.

A family of hunters in Wyoming.

That being said, I don’t want you to think that we only wear flannel shirts and eat raccoons and other rodents for dinner, but a normal Sunday dinner at my house does consist of elk roast or steaks. In fact, I did not know that this was semi-abnormal until I came to college and my roommates were somewhat disgusted with the idea of eating wild meat. Every fall, the men in my family constantly have a boyish grin on their faces, and have even been known to kick their spouses during the night while dreaming of getting that trophy animal.

On Monday, my Dad’s dream came true. He got a 6 point elk. Not only that, but he killed it on his own land. I think that is the epitome of all manly-man hunting dreams. In true hunter fashion—he loaded the whole thing in the back of the 1946 Willy’s Jeep that he is in the process of restoring, and drove all the way through town. He even had the pleasure of offending some lady to the extent that she sped up to give him the bird.


My Dad with the prized elk shortly after the kill.

A shot of how the elk was triumphantly escorted across town. I can see why this may have warranted the bird. :)

My brother, cute little Jord-man and the animal. We train 'em young--notice the camouflage hat!

Since joining the family Ronnie has become interested in such activities. Growing up in California did not lead to many hunting experiences, although he is an avid fisherman. After a new gun, scope, camo, sleeping bag, shells and other various items, he was finally ready to go. Today he is off with Grandad to try his hand at elk hunting. I'll be sure to keep you updated.

No comments: