Friday, April 06, 2007

Airport Security

I have never been one to fear flying. I sometimes get a little nauseous, but I never worry about crashing, or dying. I just enjoy my bus-ride in the sky. Nevertheless, there is one part of flying that I, and most people I know dread.

Airport Security.

After September 11th, when security was tightened many people had stories of being asked to step aside for additional screening. For the next two years, I was not able to go through security without an extra check. Apparently I look pretty threatening or too innocent for my own good.

My freshman year of college, I had the pleasure of meeting Heather. She is one of the sweetest, most caring, genuinely nice people I have ever met. Case in point: When I had the flu and was running to the dormitory bathrooms every few minutes to throw up, she bought me Sprite and saltine crackers and rubbed my back for over an hour, because it made me feel better. She is THAT kind of friend. (In fact, I haven’t heard from her in a while so maybe this post will bring her out of the woodwork.)

Heather has the most gorgeous, natural curly, thick hair. It is seriously so pretty. She came back from Christmas break and shared a rather unique search which she had to endure.

She was pulled aside from the regular screening process and the security person proceeded to probe her hair with a plastic stick of some sort. Apparently, Heather looked as though she was hiding weapons in her mounds of gorgeous curls and nothing short of scalp-probing (along with an extra sweep of the metal-detecting wand) was necessary before they could clear her to board.

I am no longer able to go through any security screening process without wondering what the lady in front of me could be hiding in her hair.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

That's hilarious, I can't believe that! You guys must have been either rolling on the floor laughing when Heather told that story or just shocked. I wonder how she is too.... Hmmmm.... Wait, did you fly somewhere last week?

Jen and Joe. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen and Joe. said...

(Sorry about that comment removal thing...I guess I messed up...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

I was once detained in Chicago on suspicion of suspicious something. To this day, I have NO IDEA why. I was just a college junior going home for Christmas! What they didn't know is that my uncle was (at the time) head of homeland security (the airport safety part) for the entire northeast.

He made it better.