For over a year, my work has been in a state of “transition.” At least that’s the word the management uses to try and calm us. Our General Manager resigned last March and we went through phases of a management team, an acting general manager, and finally two months ago they hired a new General Manager.
With new leadership comes reorganization. In every staff meeting there is an underlying tension of what will be the big announcement this time. They have told us time and time again that no one is being fired, but that they are going to be changing some job titles and duties and if you don’t like it you are free to go.
My job has been targeted for change.
Contrary to most of my coworkers, I was excited to see what I would get to do. I was promised either programming or accounting and looked forward to the change.
You see, my job once had enough work to keep a full-time employee more than busy, but through the years it has evolved (read: I S-T-R-E-T-C-H everything I can to take up more time). I am constantly asked to work on special projects such as:
Supervising a night shift of customer service.
Supervising an editing student. (I had to ask someone where the editing room was during this project).
Helping with international trade shows. (That I do NOT get to attend).
And other various stuff.
I really can’t complain, I am paid well (for Provo), have excellent benefits, get a cool cell phone, and was offered the job without ever applying.
Today I was informed of the “transition” my job would be taking. I am moving to a new department and will have the work load of one former employee added onto what I already do. I know that I will be busy, because the General Manager told me that if I get too overwhelmed, to let him know. That pretty much guarantees I will be swamped.
On the positive side, I still get an office with a window (those are few and far between at our building), I have my own A/C controls (I know I am really reaching for that one), and I get to hire a student to help me (hooray for total domination).
So, here’s to my “transition!”
No comments:
Post a Comment