Friday, March 23, 2007

Check your Mail...

…but not because you will see anything from me.

I currently own no less than five different designs of postage stamps.

Why the variety you ask?

I enjoy matching the stamp to the type of mail or person I am corresponding with.

My categories go something like this:



Happy Birthday Stamps. These are used for the obvious—birthdays. It’s a nice way to brighten up the outside of the envelope and ensure that the recipient is aware of the contents.


Elegant Stamps. These are used for wedding cards, thank you cards, sympathy cards and the like.






Wonders of America Stamps. I like to use these when sending information or if I feel the person would enjoy learning what the largest rodent in America is (American Beaver.)






DC Comics Stamps. I use these for the young and old alike. I enjoy picking out the most applicable hero (Flash for Adam, or Supergirl for Sarah) and sending that message along with my card.





Regular, Old American Flag Stamps. These are reserved for my bills. Nothing as insignificant as the electric company will receive a stamp that took some thought.




My love of the upper right corner of an envelope was inherited from my mother. When I was planning my wedding she took great care to select stamps that would correspond with the wedding colors (and succeeded.) Everyone who was perceptive enough arrived at my wedding already expecting black and white with a splash of blue.

So the next time you receive a piece of mail from me, check to see how it was classified. (Unless I’m out of everything but the American flag stamps and just had to get it out.)

4 comments:

Claire said...

I am totally a believer in themed stamps too! Today I sent my sister-in-law a b-day card with Super Woman or Girl (I can't remember which she's called) in the corner; very descriptive of my sis-in-law. Do you buy your stamps online? You do have to pay that extra $1 but I love being able to browse their huge selection. Thanks for sending so many viewers to my blog, I don't even know you but you seem like a great gal. Have a happy day!

Jen and Joe. said...

I feel MUCH less freakish for doing the EXACT SAME THING. Even though stamps have always been the same price no matter what "style" you choose, I ALWAYS feel like I'm getting more for my money if I get super meaningful/cute/charitable stamps.

KaLee said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. It's a more recent thing--I guess since I'm not a poor college student anymore! Claire-I LOVE your blog, and have lurked for months. Maybe someday we can meet!

Unknown said...

Karen says, so...if I get an American Flag, should I take offense, or assume that you think I'm patriotic? I always check out the stamps, but only because I think it is fun to see if people get different ones or not, not necessarily what is in the envelope, except the Happy Birthday ones. It's also fun to put stickers on mailed packages to make them fun to open - not just plain brown paper wrapped.