Friday, July 20, 2007

Adjusting

My mother seems to think that I am not adjusting well to Laramie.

Or that I think it is weird.

Or both.

She is wrong. Dead wrong, but that hasn’t stopped her from reminding me that “Things will be different here than you are used to in Utah” or “Don’t expect things to be the way they used to be here.”

I am loving the laid-back lifestyle. Seriously. I thought that I may have issues adjusting to a few things, like the slower speed limit. Surprisingly, I have to coax myself to go the speed limit—this happened within two days of moving here.

The best part about that is Ronnie is having the same problem—and if you know him, you know that is impressive.

I’m also loving the close parking at, well, anywhere. The 10 minute drive to anywhere in town and the smiles on the faces of everyone I see.

I’m even loving the wind. (Okay, this is really only because we don’t have A/C and it makes the night bearable.)

In fact, I can only think of one thing that I don’t like.

The radio stations.

(I know all of you thought I was going to say shopping—huh? Well, you are WRONG!)

I just can’t seem to find a station that is suitable for driving. (Let’s keep in mind that the maximum drive time I have is 10 minutes and my daily drive to work is 2, so you would think this wouldn't be too difficult.)

We have what is supposed to be the Alternative/Pop station. It has actually changed names since I left town—but surprise, surprise they play the same music they played six years ago.

We have three country stations. So far I have not heard a SINGLE song that is currently on the stations in Utah. I can only take so much Patsy Cline and Kenny Rogers.

We have no less than four Christian stations—which actually have pretty good beats, if you can tune out the cheesy words.

And that is it. For reals.

After Jen’s many posts about NPR, I think that may be the only choice I have left. I like it most of the time—but I never thought I would be an ALL NPR ALL THE TIME kind of person.

Oh, help.

3 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

Awwww.....

I sort of feel like I owe it to NPR....it's saved me from boredom SO many times.

Yet....until pledge drives become less annoying, I will not contribute.

Congratulations on seeing the light! (turn it up so baby boy can hear!)

=)

Josh and Gnickie said...

I am not a fan of NPR. That could have something to do with the fact that my father in law listens to it everyday on the way to and from work. Unfortunately, I am in the car with him most days so that means I also listen to NPR on the way to and from work. Like I said, not a fan. I think I have chosen to take a nap to and from work now days.

Just a joke. I am sure it is a great station for some people I am just not one of them. I prefer my CD collection.

Josh and Gnickie said...

I am not a fan of NPR. That could have something to do with the fact that my father in law listens to it everyday on the way to and from work. Unfortunately, I am in the car with him most days so that means I also listen to NPR on the way to and from work. Like I said, not a fan. I think I have chosen to take a nap to and from work now days.

Just a joke. I am sure it is a great station for some people I am just not one of them. I prefer my CD collection.