We shop a lot at Wal-Mart and while many consider this unacceptable, in my defense--it is all I have access to, plus I actually like Wal-Mart, so hah!
Anyway, Wal-Mart has recently had survey invitations that print out on your receipt. Not everyone gets one and the average person does not get an invitation every time they shop--but I am not that average person.
You see--my last name is such that would generally designate a certain ethnicity.
It is my belief that Wal-Mart is targeting this particular group of customers, without wanting to appear to do so. Every time I have used my debit card to pay for my purchase, I have received a survey invitation. There have only been two times in the last two months that I have not received a survey invitation--and those two times I paid with cash.
My suspicions are heightened due to a few of the questions on the survey.
I am not offended by this, but enjoying filling out the survey online (and entering to win $1000) and get even more satisfaction by checking the ethnicity box they do NOT want me to check.
Along with demographic information, the survey asks for the reasons you shop at certain stores and has many phrases that you then rank in relevance to your own shopping habits. These phrases include things like: I am a one-stop shopper and will pay more for items if it means I don't have to go anywhere else, or I am the ultimate bargain shopper and will visit many stores to get the most for my money.
Since I have taken this survey at least ten times, I have discovered a few things that surprised me about my shopping preferences. I prefer to shop in a clean and aesthetically pleasing store.
It is the little things that bring me joy in stores--like the displays that catch my eye, or an easy-to-push and noise-free cart. In fact, I love shopping at our local Safeway. Not because they are cheap (without sales and coupons, they definitely are not!), but because they have little mini carts that I LOVE! These carts have an upper and lower basket and only stick out in front of me two feet. (kind of like the one pictured, only with actually sides on both baskets and they are both the same size) Plus, their wheels glide like butter!While my average Wal-Mart shopping trip purchases would not fit in one of these magical carts, I still request them on every survey I take.
Maybe little by little I can make a difference!
1 comment:
You always make a difference! Yes, I think I shop for those same reasons. And I Love Wal-Mart (except for the cluttered isles)
Karen
Post a Comment