1. There are still stop lights on the sides of the
streets that are not overhead. I don’t know if most of the world has seen them, but they look like the picture on the right. Visitors to Laramie are usually guilty of either running them or coming very close to doing so.2. Speaking of stoplights, all of the cities stoplights (overhead or not) get turned “off” after midnight. One direction has a flashing red light and the other, a flashing yellow light. I love driving deserted, dark streets, but don’t love that I have to stay up so late to do so. (man, that sentence is proof I am getting old—midnight used to be NOTHING).
3. Everyone says excuse me in the grocery store. And I mean everyone. Instead of fighting crowds of stressed out people who are rude and inconsiderate (like I did in U***), I have a pleasant experience at Wal-mart each time I shop.
4. University students run to open the door for me. I mean that literally. Especially now that I am quite large. I love and appreciate the special treatment.
5. I have my family close, but not too close. I’ve enjoyed being in a different ward and carving out our own place in Laramie, separate from the one I had so long ago. But, I have to admit that driving three minutes to my mom’s has some great advantages as well, especially when Ronnie has gone to the library for the evening.
6. Fashion is just not as important. Don’t get me wrong—I like looking cute, but in Provo it seemed like church was a bit of a competition of the cutest clothes and many weeks I was the obvious loser. Here, church is church. You dress nicely, but if you don’t have the latest style no one will ever notice. (sidenote: Laramie has never been on the cutting edge in the fashion department. I still vividly remember the day in Jr. High when one of the more “fashionable” girls wore a pair of capris for the first time. I looked at them and vowed to never wear a pair—EVER. Ahh, the mistakes we make!)
7. People know how to drive in the snow. I’ll be the first to admit that the first snow storm is always a little scary, since the out of state students are adjusting, but problems with stupid drivers are minimal for every storm afterward.
8. I don’t ever have to parallel park. Anyone who knows me well knows that not only do I despise parallel parking; I really CAN NOT do it. Luckily Laramie has less traffic and relatively ample parking on all streets, so this is never an issue.
There you have it—just a few of the things I love about Laramie. I could go into a few things I don’t love so much, but let’s keep it positive—shall we?
P.S. The machine quilting lady just called and told me my quilts are done. Whooo Hooo! Look for a completed quilt post soon!
2 comments:
What's a machine quilting lady?
Good list. It actually made me miss good ol' Laramie. I always swore that I would NEVER miss the town- only the people, but the town isn't so bad. :)
Post a Comment