Monday, November 05, 2007

A Little Update and Lights

Just a month to go until this little one’s expected arrival—which seems crazy! I promise to post some 36 week photos this week since in Ronnie’s words “You are starting to look big!”

We had a great weekend with more free time than we should have. I’m sure Ronnie will *want to* regret it (even though he won’t be able to admit it since it was time together) as he works long hours to get everything done in school this week.

We went to Cheyenne on Saturday with our friends Steve, Lindsey and little Brinley. It was so nice to have one last getaway before the baby—even if it was just a 45 minute drive (I don’t think my pregnant self can go much farther than that these days). We got some last-minute items at Target, shopped at Kohls and Michaels (thank the crafting gods that I have SOMETHING relatively close) and then ate a delicious meal at Texas Roadhouse.

I know this post would be much better with some pictures, but I didn’t take the camera, so continue reading with that in mind.

Then we parted ways from our friends and went to Home Depot. You see, my dad is building two spec houses and we offered to get all of the lighting fixtures for the second house while we were in Cheyenne so he wouldn’t also have to make the trip.

I don’t know how many of you have picked out an entire house of lights in one trip, but it was (to say the least) a bit overwhelming. We wanted everything to be in stock (due to the distance from the store) and preferred to have the entire house in the same style and color.

This proved to be difficult.

We were able to move along fairly well until we got to the last four lights. They included the dining room and kitchen island (which needed to match) as well as the living room and front entry (which also needed to match). Home Depot had only one fixture of the four that I was completely satisfied with and NOTHING to coordinate!

Did you know that Brushed Nickel, Satin Nickel and Antique Pewter are different silver colors that match okay when in separate rooms, but look HORRIBLE right next to each other?

I finally gave up and bought three fixtures that I was okay with and one that I really didn’t like at all, and decided that if my mom and dad wanted to drive back over and change things they could, but I got things that would at least be tolerable.

So in conclusion, I learned that it is possible to pick out an entire house of lights in 2 hours, but probably not advisable.

P.S. Home Depot’s online selection also stinks, since I was going to post examples of the hideous light fixtures I was choosing from, but NONE of them exist online.
P.P.S. I was very pleased with all of the light fixtures until these last four, so Home Depot is not a total waste, just close.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you looked big in the shots that Bethany took when you were in Utah and that was a few weeks ago. The girls told me you should look big - you're pregnant! Really?! Home Depot is a pain - thank goodness we have a Lowe's here that seems to do better for us (and we can pick and choose since they are both within a couple of miles) - but that's what you get for not living in sunny southern Cali - Love you guys! Karen

Josh and Gnickie said...

You thought shopping for lights was hard... now you can imagine how hard it was for Josh and I to pick out everything for our house in a little over an hour. We sure hope the house turns out cute.