Thursday, June 19, 2008

KaLee's Baby Must-Haves (plus other things I couldn't weed out)

{I apologize in advance for the length of this post}


So, I’ve been a mom for six whole months. Which pretty much makes me an expert. (yeah. right.) I remember well the job of preparing for that joyous little bundle. The lists I made. The online shopping I did. The reviews I read. So, to make things a bit easier for those of you out there who trust my opinion above all others (which is all of you, right?...RIGHT?) I put together a list of baby things that I LOVE, and then some that I like and a few things I didn't ever really use. Obviously, I am having a hard time narrowing it down.

Items I can NOT live without
1. The SwaddleMe Blanket by Kiddopotamus. Granted—not every baby will want to be swaddled. Most newborns want it for a while and Easton wanted to be swaddled for 5 months. These blankets made the process painless. I also believe that Easton slept for WAY longer due to the fact that his flailing arms didn’t wake him up. They are now my baby shower gift. Source: My Wal-mart doesn’t carry them, but you can order site-to-store online and save on shipping.
2. Pacifier (binky in our house) by MAM. Again, not every baby will want one, but Easton had a very strong sucking need and would have TOTALLY been a thumb sucker if I would have let him. I opted for something that I can take away when he is older (this is where I would say that “the weaning” will happen around his 1.5 to 2 year mark, but if motherhood has taught me anything—it has taught me to never have an opinion before the event takes place). Source: Any major retailer. I will warn that the classic ones (pictured) are getting harder and harder to find.
3. A Nursing Cover. I purchased one from milkchic, but now that I have it in hand—they would be incredibly easy to make. I love the stiff portion at the top that allows me to see Easton and the strap around my neck that prevents him from pulling it down. Every time I use one in my church Mother’s Lounge, I get compliments from other moms. Source: milkchic.com or your own sewing machine.[note: there are TONS of online sources for these—just choose your favorite]
4. Triple Paste. Unfortunately, Easton has sensitive skin. A trait he gets from both his mom and his dad, so he was doomed from the start. There are a lot of great diaper rash creams out there—but this one was recommended by our doctor for heat rash and all of Easton’s dry skin problems and it has cured things that nothing else can. Source: I got mine at Wal-mart (you may have to ask for it at the pharmacy, but you won’t need a prescription).
5. Clip and Go Mobile by Tiny Love. I love, love, love this mobile. It has made car rides possible and has entertained Easton for more hours that I should probably admit. The best part is its portability. You can Velcro it on the car seat, then attach it to the Pack n’ Play when you visit friend’s houses. It has black, red and white sides for when your little one is tiny and then turns over with soft bugs for older babies. Source: Again, I got this at Wal-mart (can you tell that it is the only store in my town?). And again, I would order site to store and save money if I were you. [note: the only con is that it doesn’t really work on a crib. See “Items I really like” for my recommended crib mobile]
6. Suede Mini Diaper Bag by Carter. I cannot count the number of times that I have gotten a compliment on this bag. It’s little. It’s cute. I didn’t register for it originally, but instead the larger version, but then my genius aunt saw this and decided that it was the size she was always looking for and could never find when her kids were younger—so she bought it. I love the size. Large enough to hold all of the essentials—plus some, yet small enough that it is not a pain to carry around. This bag has been everywhere! Source: My aunt got it from Babies R Us and it is the only place I could find it online as well.
7. Bumbo. This is a great little chair. It allowed Easton to sit up at a young age and be a part of family meals and game time. We are currently using it to feed Easton while we research and purchase a high chair. Make sure to follow the safety instructions to ensure your child’s safety. Source: Any major retailer.
8. Papasan Cradle Swing by Fisher-Price. This was a fantastic asset to our household. Easton loved the side-to-side swinging and was mesmerized by the mobile and music. He sent hours in it as a newborn and it was great to have my hands free for a few minutes. There are just a few cons: It takes up a fair amount of floor space and runs on batteries only although our D batteries were only changed once (after 4 months). As Easton got more mobile, he became uninterested (around 5 months) but every baby is different. Source: I recommend searching around for the best deal. Currently on Amazon.com it is cheaper than I paid for it and as long as you don’t need it RIGHT away you can get free shipping.
9. Bundleme by JJ Cole. For a winter baby, this was KEY! I loved that I didn’t have to mess with coats, etc, but instead could stick on a hat, zip up the Bundleme and hit the road. The BEST part was that it never blew off in the wind and was impossible to drop in the store, parking lot, etc. If it worked for me in frigid Wyoming—it will definitely work for you! Source: Any major retailer (I’m pretty sure I got mine off Amazon.com).

Items I have really liked
1. Bounce Bounce Baby Activity Zone by Bright Starts. Let’s face it, the reason I originally bought this one over any of the others was that it was half the price. Since then I have grown to love it. Easton is entertained by bouncing and playing and I am guaranteed that he is right where I put him. Source: I got mine at Wal-mart, but I am sure they are available a few different places.
2. Baby Carrier Original by BabyBjorn. I’ll admit that I don’t use this all of the time, but every time I have used it, I have loved it—and so has Easton. There have also been countless times when I have wished that I had brought it along. Source: Any major retailer (mine was ordered from Target.com).
3. Rainforest Musical Mobile by Fisher-Price. When Easton finally transistioned from the bassinet to the crib (at 4 months) I lost the use of my beloved Clip and Go Mobile. Since Easton puts himself to sleep for naps and bed, a little music is necessary. I have loved this mobile. The music has two volumes and you have three music channels and one rainforest noises channel to choose from. It also has a remote—for those times when seeing mommy would not be a good thing. I also really like that the mobile part is removable and it can still be used to play music and as a nightlight as Easton gets older. Source: Any major retailer. I ordered mine site to store from Wal-mart.
4. Bath seat. You can see the one we have in this picture of Easton. I love that it is not a separate bath that I have to figure out storage for (key in an apartment), but still provides Easton with support while bathing. I was unable to find it anywhere online—so I apologize for the lack of a link. Source: I bet you can guess—Wal-mart.
5. Pump In Style Original Breast Pump by Medela. I realize a pump of this magnitude may not be necessary for every new mom—but as a working mom, it has been a life saver. I would start looking at these earlier vs. later so you can find a good deal. I was tipped off to a sale and was able to get mine for $175+shipping. {just wanted you to have a price point} The link I was able to find has it for MUCH more. Source: Any major retailer but I’ve only seen the sales online.

Items I thought I needed, but haven’t really used
1. Boppy. Everyone will tell you they are wonderful. I thought I totally NEEDED one, so I bought one. It made nursing MORE awkward and as soon as I stopped using it, things got easier. I used it minimally when Easton needed tummy time and I have put it around him twice as we are now working on sitting up. Bottom line? Not worth my money.
2. Bouncer. Again, a product that was highly recommended. I was an extremely lucky mom—whose child was not colicky. Easton preferred the swing and since the swing could move on its own and the bouncer required some human help—Easton was in it one time. I’m still hanging onto it incase my next child loves it, but if I had it to do over again I would wait to purchase one until I needed it (especially since you can get them anywhere).

Are you tired of reading? I apologize again for the length of this post, but now when anyone asks me my opinion—I can just refer them here.

Note: I [unfortunately] did not get paid for this post. Take it for what you think it is worth.

4 comments:

Shorter family said...

I agree with everything but the boppy. i couldn't have lived without my boppy! Plus I would love to add the duck thermomator for the bath tub so you can tell if the water is too hot, Butt Paste for the evilist of diaper rash. A sunblock stick so you don't get sunscreen in their eyes. A animal backpack for their walking days to let them think they have a little more freedom. Teething tablets for with the nightmare begins. (You place them under the tongue so they work faster than Tylenol) and when they are screaming every second counts. And of course a fabulous pair of ear plugs. For when you get daddy to watch the little one so you can take a nap!

Maria said...

I agree with you on the boppy. My friend told me I HAD to have one, so I have one, but I preferred nursing without it. I also agree I could not survive without my pacifier. I finally weened Will off of it (2 years later!) but I still give Rosie it.

Cindy said...

Great insights KaLee--to bad it is 30 years too late for me! I had 6 children and would love to have had some of your favorite things. I had a primative bouncer seat that I loved and a back pack that Greg used when he mowed the lawn--that is about it! But I'll use your list for the many baby showers I'm invited to. Thanks!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

That IS a good list!

Might I suggest a highchair. It is only $25 and it is the GREATEST purchase!

When we were doing feeding therapy with the twins the therapist told us that she had twins and that she tells EVERYONE she knows to get this seat instead of an actual highchair. One because it saves storage space, I mean big highchairs take up space! Two because it is SO portable and pretty compact when you fold the back down, three because the tray is dish washer safe (for sanitizing) and Four, and probably most important. You strap it to a chair at your table and they get to sit up to the table and eat with the family. They feel more a part of everything. We do this and remove the tray so Mal can sit right there with us! I LOVE IT!

There are a couple of other brands, but they are not nearly as good as this one. Some even cause a bit of a hazard. Anyway, give it a try. If you don't like it, you only spent $25 and now you have a "going on vacation" highchair.

Here is the link, you will probably have to copy and paste:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2626212