Monday, August 04, 2008

Squash Book Tutorial and Giveaway!

What is a squash book you ask? It is a fun little thing that starts off as this size:

And unfolds to this:



Perfect to stick in your purse with pics of your family, or little ones, or dogs, or cats, or grandma, or...well, you get the point. You may remember that I mentioned being in charge of a mini-scrapbook at our Stake Girls Camp this year--this is what the girls made. It has a *slight* western theme to it (as the Girls Camp theme was Cowgirl Up!) but I think it is cute for any person (I may be a TINY bit biased).


If you want to learn how to make one of these little puppies--read on, if not--you can enter to win one of two anyway! [scroll down to the very bottom]




1. Begin with three square pieces of paper. You can make these any size you want. Mine are 8.5" by 8.5" purely because that is an easy square to make with an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. This means that my finished squash book will be 4.25"x 4.25"

2. Fold each piece of paper in half. Now bend it backwards (on the same fold the other way). You want these folds to be "remembered" by the paper.

3. Unfold the first fold and fold the opposite direction. Remember to bend it backwards to get a really nice fold. *Note: the better you fold at this stage, the better your book will come together.


4. Unfold the paper again and fold diagonally. It does not matter which diagonal you choose, just be sure to bend it backwards to really crease that paper.

5. All three sheets should now look like this.

6. Line the papers up so that the diagonal fold is on the vertical (as shown).

7. With the adhesive of your choice, glue one paper on top of the other in one of the "solid" squares.
8. And then glue the third piece of paper on top of the second.
Your completed assembly should look like this.
8. Now comes the tricky part. Folding. Take the left hand side and make it fold under like this.
9. It will now lay flat, like this.

10. Do the exact same thing to the right side.
11. So that when those two are completed, it will look like this (only when your hands are holding it down though).

12. Now pick up the entire creation and make the middle portion fold under--as this picture shows. This is the hardest part of the whole thing--don't get discouraged!

13. Once that is done, your entire book should fold into a little square.

14. Now get out two 18" pieces of ribbon.

15. Apply your adhesive in the middle of the square (it doesn't matter which way) and place the ribbon on top. Don't worry if this is a little messy--it will be covered up in just a minute.

16. Now flip your book over.


17. And do the same thing on the other side.

18. now get the paper that you would like for the front and back cover of your book. Cut it into 4"x4" squares.

19. Adhere the paper over the ribbon. Repeat for the back cover.


20. And now, when you unfold your book, it will look like this on the inside.

21. Next select the papers you would like to use for the inside. You will need four 4"x4" pieces of paper.

22. Adhere them to the inside like so.

23. Now you will need the triangle pieces of paper. Twelve in total. To cut these, cut your paper 4"x4" square and then turn on your paper cutter and cut into triangles.

24. Adhere your triangles however you would like. And maybe add some stars and brads for good measure. At this point--you are done with the decorative base of your squash book. If this was for you, you might add pictures, journalling, etc.
25. Sometimes your book needs a little bit of a reminder on how to fold back the first time, so let's review. Fold the left side flat as shown.
26. Like this.
27. Now the right side should follow.

28. So that you have this.

29. Now we have to remind that middle part the way that it needs to go.

30. And then your book will lay flat.


31. Now tie the ribbons into adorable bows.

31. Now you may want some scalloped circles to embellish the outside.

32. These would normally be monogrammed on both the front and the back. I love me some monograms. I'm waiting until the giveaway winners are selected before I monogram these babies. I don't think everyone wants a "K" on the front of theirs.

Now enter to win!

Rules: Leave your comment by Wednesday, August 6th. One Comment per person. TWO winners will be selected at random and be announced Thursday morning. Good Luck!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man I hope I'm the lucky one!

Alicia Richins

Anne Marie said...

Enter me in the drawing provided I get one with an A monogram rather than an N one;)

Emily Judd said...

wow! Thanks for sharing your amazing talents! pick me pick me!

Michelle said...

holy crap that was amazing. excuse my holy crap, but seriously, how long did that take to tutorialize? YOU are the one who deserves a prize, pretty girl with the blue cutting underboard that I'm coveting as we speak. love your craftiness, WOWZA! :)

Cindy said...

Great tutorial KaLee--I made one similar years ago before I was a demo. If you don't mind I'll use your great instructions to teach my club this month!! I miss you!! Give me a call next time you are in my neighborhood, I would love to chat!!

Amber said...

I'm feeling lucky... count me in!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Just for the record, I am totally requesting more posts like this from you! You have such a talent for this stuff. Plus, who knows, you might just motivate me to get off my duff and get some scrapbooking done! :)

(I hope I win, I hope I win, I hope I win)

Lindsay said...

Wow, thanks for the detailed tutorial. I think that with these instructions even I could make a squash book! But that's not stopping me from entering your giveaway....because I'm sure yours will end up looking way better than mine would. :)

KT said...

That is such a cute idea. I love it. Katie Clawson

us said...

I need to attend one of your classes to get my stuff done. Maybe you should start hosting CA classes! :) Or you can just pick me and then I can have one!!

Melissa said...

Great variation on the accordion bind! The papers are really cute.

Maria said...

I am very impressed! I think you are the craftiest girl I know! I would attempt it, but when I scrolled down and saw 31 steps, I realized it was more than I could handle. I hope I'm picked!!!

katie said...

your contest prizes are so cute. i thought i might as well put myself in the running this time :)

Alisa said...

pick me, please