Friday, August 01, 2008

Memory Round-up

It’s the end of memory week. Some of you are cheering that you don’t have to hear any more of my crazy stories and the rest of you are maybe a little bit sad (ok, “the rest of you” probably only includes my mother).

I have a list of memories in my “blog ideas” list and most of them are not detailed enough to deserve a post of their own, so I thought I would just give you the whole lot at once. Prepare yourself.
________________________

When I was nine, I was outside riding my bike and my dad was getting in his truck to go somewhere. I yelled, “RACE YA!” and started pedaling down the sidewalk like a mad-woman. I looked up to see if I was beating my dad (as if my little legs could out pedal a car) and my bike veered to the right.

I ran smack into the neighbor’s mailbox. Ouch.
_________________________

I was kind of a know-it-all as a child. Come to think of it, I still am. But moving on with the story—I was over at a friend’s house when I was about eight and her ten year old brother was making us mac & cheese for lunch. The noodles had boiled for seven minutes and it was time to do the next step. He asked me if we were supposed to add the powder cheese to the water. I didn’t know the answer, but said “yes” just to say something. Needless to say, we made another batch before we actually ate.
__________________________

One summer, after I was too old for Barbies and Supermarket Sweep, the twins and I spent hours playing card games. Speed, California Speed, Nertz, War, Solitaire. We weren’t picky, we just wanted to PLAY. Because the entire summer was devoted to such a specific activity it sticks out vividly in my mind. I can remember teaching myself to shuffle and then learning to do the “butterfly” at the end of the shuffle. It is a skill that has served me well. As I was remembering this time, I tried to think of another time in my life when I have devoted that much time to gaining or developing a skill and I came up empty. Did you have anything you devoted a lot of time to when you were a child?
__________________________

And now, if you will humor me. I've left memories of lots of people's blogs and have not had anyone do the same (although I do believe that is what the tag "technically" promises). So for the heck of it--what do you remember about me?

5 comments:

Amber said...

KaLee, I remember when you were BORN!! I remember coming to your parents basement apartment, sitting on a beanbag chair and holding you when you were first brought home from the hospital. Beat that!

Maria said...

Hopefully Ronnie won't mind me saying this, but I remember you and Jackson hugging in the halls in between classes. :)

Cindy said...

Oh KaLee--I have too many fun memories of you! The saddest memory was when you were just 2 years old. I was tending you for a few days while your Mom was in the hospital having Erica. You had fun playing with my kids--they thought you were a doll. But then the worst happened--you got the stomache flu! You were so sick and couldn't stop throwing up. You were so sad and wanted your Mommy. We tried our best to love, care and comfort you but it was pretty sad!! I hope there was no long term damage KaLee!
I also have great memories of the time you, Erica and Adam spent at our house when you would visit Utah. Jill and Max looked forward to your visits. You enjoyed games, movies, dress-up sleeping over and laughing. Oh how we loved our 'Laramie' cousins!

Jill said...

I remember when you guys would come to visit in the summer and we would sit in the basement and play cards for hours because grammy had like a million decks. I also remember coming up to laramie for several summers and having the time of my life...that is where I went to my first stake dance by the way. ahh, good times!

Anonymous said...

Lots of my memories of you are when you were a girl, probably because we actually lived in the same state for some of that time.

I'm not trying to beat Amber or anything, but I'm pretty sure I was your first official babysitter. I think it was while your parents went to church (double brownie points, right?).

Then there was the time you and Erica had a sleep-over at my apartment and we decorated Valentines sugar cookies. I think you were 4 and Erica was 2. Wow ... wish someone would do that with my kids someday!

I also tended you both (& a little Adam) at your cinderblock U of U housing apartment. We'd play baseball/softball outside, games inside, etc. Does any of this ring a bell?

And I had so much fun buying you and Erica matching outfits (usually Osh Kosh) for your b-days and Christmas. Hope that matchy-matchy thing didn't scar you for life - I just loved buying girl things!

Then there were those Thanksgivings in Mississippi when you had to sacrifice your bed for lil' ole me.

Wow, I could go on and on, but then there wouldn't be room for anyone else to take a trip down your Memory Lane. Just wondering ... do your memories go back that far, or am I just a crusty old Aunt?

Denise