Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let's just make this memory week--shall we?

After my last two memory posts, I decided to just keep on going.

When I was younger, summer seemed to last for a really long time. (As opposed to now, when it flies by). I spent almost every day with my neighbors. There were twin girls who were two years older than me (and always hung out with me—even though I was younger and dorky) and their sister who was my sister’s age. It was a great arrangement.

We did lots of different things, roller skating in the driveway to Paula Abdul, dress ups, Barbies, and cards. At that time two game shows were fairly popular (at least popular with us): Shop ‘Til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep.

One lazy summer afternoon we decided to play Supermarket Sweep. We convinced the twin’s older brother to be the host and set out to get everything ready to go. Since we didn’t have an abundance of food items (and our mother’s would have killed us if we messed up their food storage), we adapted the game to what we could get our hands on. We had a “book” isle, a “Barbie” isle, a play “food” isle, a “game” isle and a “clothes” isle. This elaborate set took two days to finish. It required toting items from my house as well as organizing and categorizing everything. As we organized, we talked excitedly about new ideas and how much fun this was going to be.

We then had our “host” come up with questions that required us to retrieve certain items. Luckily each of our families owned a play mini-shopping cart that we wheeled around the isles (created on the back deck) in search of the correct item. We finally got everything ready.

And proceeded to play one round that lasted for about 30 minutes.

And then decided we were done—and began to put everything away.

I find it funny that the anticipation and planning of this particular activity was the best part of the whole thing. Barbies were the exact same way for me. I loved getting my “house” all ready and dividing up all of the clothes and shoes, but once that was done, I was ready to put the Barbies away.

Did you actually “play” Barbies, or anything else for that matter? And be honest—did you have a special Barbie voice?

2 comments:

Stevens Family said...

I don't remember every 'playing' Barbies in the sense that I would imagine they were walking around and talking and stuff. I liked to dress them in their different clothes and do their hair.

Kara was telling me how she doesn't like to play with dolls. I brought up Barbies. She said that she didn't like to play with them either. However, when I mentioned that to me playing with them included dressing them and doing their hair, she said that she loved to do that. So now she says she loves to play with Barbies. I hope other people who ask her think that doing their hair and dressing them also constitutes playing otherwise their view of what she does might be skewed.

Stevens Family said...

ever playing, not every playing