Not to be confused with my mom, Keri, or my sister-in-law, Kari.
Actually, her name wasn’t (and isn’t) Carrie at all, but she has to be called something on the blog and this is the best I can do.
So anyway. Carrie.
There are some people that come into your life that create memory after memory after memory, and others that you can remember being friends with but not much beyond that. Carrie falls into the former category.
She is fun-loving and constantly entertains herself in non-traditional ways. Let’s review a few experiences, shall we?
1. My mom gave Carrie and me a ride to school each morning during junior high. Carrie would wait on the corner for my mom to pull up. This corner also housed the street sign. One freezing, Wyoming winter day, Carrie decided to see if your tongue really does get stuck to a frozen pole. She quickly learned that yes, it does. Just then my mom pulled up to the corner and not wanting to look stupid she RIPPED her tongue off the pole and jumped in the car. It was then she realized that her tongue was bleeding (pretty badly). Her tongue was not the same for weeks.
2. Carrie and I decided to perform in our ward Christmas talent show. I can’t remember what we did (but as 15 year olds, I’m sure it was plenty embarrassing). She wore a red shirt and I wore a green shirt (we were oh, so clever). As she was getting ready at home, she decided that she wanted to add a Rudolph nose to the mix. Unfortunately, she did not own a clown nose, so she had to improvise. She found a red pompom (those crafty ones) and decided to hot glue it to her nose. The pompom didn’t last long, but her nose was red nonetheless.
3. I’m sure you all remember junior high. Oh, the chapstick you used. I think my greatest joy was finding my favorite flavor and every trip to the store buying a new kind to try. (I wouldn’t want to be unfair and declare a favorite without trying every single one available). During lunch, Carried leaned over and offered me her new chapstick. It was vanilla flavored—delicious. I applied liberally and continued chatting with the table, until I noticed that they were all trying not to look at me, and snickering. That seemingly harmless white colored chapstick was a joke stick and had turned my lips shockingly bright neon pink. I spent forever in the bathroom trying to scrub it off (Have you ever scrubbed your lips with soap? Not pleasant). A few days later, I was back to normal.
4. In 7th grade, it was all the rage to call people on the phone and ask them to go out with you. What did this mean, you ask? It meant that you would look away from them in the hall, would blush if they said hi, and that the rumors circulated that you were together. That is all. One night the phone rang and I answered. A slightly deep, slightly high pitched voice asked for KaLee. The teenage-boy voice continued, introducing himself as Brian (who went to the prep school in town—hence why I didn’t know who he was) and proceeded to “ask me out” on behalf of James (we’ll call him James). I was confused, but answered yes. The next day—as I am describing this bizarre experience to a friend, she calls James over and asks about it. He denies that he even knows a Brian, and I am left feeling stupid. It was FOUR years later that I learned the “Brian” was actually Carrie—being her usually, crazy self.
You may now be at the point where you are wondering why I am sharing this collection of memories with you. The answer? I remembered the Rudolph nose story randomly the other day and suddenly I was flooded with memories of Carrie. She’s spunky, and funny, and a riot, and I’m not in contact with her anymore. {must remember to locate her}
Please tell me that you have had a Carrie in your life, because you really, really need one.
No comments:
Post a Comment