Thursday, July 31, 2008

Collections

I didn’t collect many things as a kid. Sure, I had a basket of rocks in my closet, but that collection sat idle the majority of the time.

Enter the American Girl Dolls.

The stories were fun and the dolls adorable. I chose Kirsten as my favorite and began collecting all of her outfits and accessories. I would get an outfit or accessory for my birthday and another for Christmas every year. I loved the detail in each of the outfits and couldn’t wait for the day that I owned the entire set.

When I was in college and still getting an one outfit or accessory from Santa each year, I realized that I may never have everything. At that time I decided to stop collecting for a while and wait until I could spend a little more money to get some of the bigger things.

I was reminded of my precious doll while listening to This American Life at work and got on their website to see what I still needed to collect.

Sadly, they have stopped carrying a few of the accessories that were my favorite and I will never own them. I guess I will have to settle with what I can get my hands on now and just forget about the rest.

Is it strange that I STILL have a very strong urge to complete my collection? Please don’t tell me that I am too old for dolls.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

You can never be too old to enjoy a good doll and her accessories. By the way never say never, there is always ebay and craigslist. You have no idea what you might find there.

Clay said...

you're too old for dolls.

katie said...

when i was in new york last summer visiting beth, i made ryan go with me to the american girl's store. i definitely bought a new dress for samantha. i'm glad i'm not the only one who still loves my american girl doll....even if she is boxed up in my parents garage