Friday, January 30, 2009

Four-eyes and metal mouth

You know how in elementary school you really, really wanted to have glasses? And if that wasn't enough you also really, really, really wanted to have braces? (Unless you actually had braces or glasses, in which case your feelings were probably reversed).

I was no exception. I cannot count the number of paperclips that were deftly shaped to fit my teeth, or the number of times that I borrowed my friend Kristen's bright pink glasses, just so I could wear them for the day (because that was awesome for my eyes).

When the yearly eye screener person would come to the classroom I would try my very hardest to get glasses. (Surprisingly, when the hearing checks were performed, I actually tried. Apparently hearing aids do not fall into the same category as glasses and braces).

But back to the screening. Because I was seven and had perfect vision at the time, I didn't understand what people would see if they couldn't see. So, instead of saying letters that looked close to those that were on the line, I would just say random letters. For example, if the line had C E D F O, I would say X P H M A. (How did those screeners ever see through my cleverness?)

Needless to say, it was not until 9th grade when I could not read the board from the back of the room that I had to get glasses.

And I've never had braces.

I know, you are totally pitying me.

Why the random story from the past? Because I was reminded of it this week and because it is my blog.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope that all your children get yours and Ronnie's genes and have great teeth!

Kathryn said...

I just love you Kalee, you have the funnest posts and I get a giggle out of them...even if at your expense :)
I also remember always wanting a broken leg so I could have crutches! Crazy kids!!

Stevens Family said...

I'm embarassed to admit that I did bend paperclips and pretend they were my retainers. Dumb 3rd grade thing to do.