Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The way I roll

Ronnie and I have always been very lucky with our cars.  Aside from a very few incidences, they've been reliable and great to have.  We've been happily driving sedans for our entire driving lives and they've served us wonderfully.

Enter two kids.

And those kids' gear.

And the crazy Wyoming weather.

We were ready for a change, so we did it.

Say hello to our new car:
We love it.  It's a 2006 GMC Yukon and fits our family with plenty of room to grow. 

[Those of you that don't care to know every little reason that we purchased this car can stop reading now.  For the rest of you, if anyone is still with me, I apologize if you get bored quickly, but in all fairness I totally warned you.]

Once we knew we were staying in Wyoming for a while, we knew that we wanted a 4-wheel drive vehicle.  That Wyoming weather is a little crazy. We really went back and forth on what other features/size we wanted our new wheels to have/be.

We love Hondas and would love to own one of the brand new Pilots, but let's be honest, they are a little pricey.  So, then we started looking at other mid-size SUVs.  Initially, I knew I didn't need a 3rd seat now, but wanted the option of having more seating for toting around my kids friends, the occasional guest, etc.  A 3rd seat that folded flat seemed like the perfect option, so we decided to test drive several different brands and see how we felt.

We were pleased with pretty much every car we drove in that category and started to think about actively searching for a mid-size for a great price.  Then, it was time for me to travel to scope out a meeting site for one of my tri-annual work meetings.  I rented a GMC Envoy for the trip and the whole fam took off on a long weekend.

It wasn't long into the trip that we realized that with children the age of our kids, there was some of the time that I needed to be in the back with them....if we wanted to avoid stopping ALL. OF. THE. TIME.  While I did fit between the car seats in the Envoy.  I barely fit, and I mean barely.  It wasn't comfortable at all and as the trip went on, I realized that wasn't what I was looking for.  We did more research, realizing that all mid-sized SUV were within and inch or two of that and decided to widen (no pun intended) our search once again.

Enter the full-sized SUV.  Yes, the gas economy is not our favorite, and the 3rd seat doesn't fold flat, but with two kids in car seats, I can sit in between them comfortably. The cargo area is the same size as the mid-sized SUVs, even with the 3rd seat still in (and folded up) and with the 3rd seat removed, it is massive.

I've driven to Cody in it with one kid and it was marvelous to sit up higher on the road.  We're taking on its maiden-full-family-voyage all the way down to California and I'm confident it will be fantastic.

8 comments:

Jill said...

fabulous! You are totally right, with 2 kiddos in car seats a bigger vehicle is a must!! And soon for us, it will be THREE in carseats, yikes!

congrats on the purchase, it's so fun to have a new ccar!

Jeri Hawley said...

Oh how fun. Can you park that thing? I still have to park in the way back of the parking lots whenever I drive our huge truck. And I may have drove it into the side of the garage once or twice...

Kathryn said...

I really like it and white too! It was nice to hear your thinking and I feel the exact same way. Thankfully I have overcome the stage to need to be in the back but it was hard that first year with a sedan, thankfully we will have a little time to have to make a purchase.

Travis & Alisa said...

SO funny, with our upcoming arrival of baby #2, we just bought a Chevy Suburban!! So excited!

Carolyn said...

How exciting! Congratulations on your new purchase! It sounds great.

Cindy said...

Thanks for the info KaLee. I'm past the carseat stage. We are now looking for good lumbar support and possibly a seat I can lay down on. Any suggestions?

Denise said...

I think your trip to Cali will be more fantastic if you come via NorCal! Just sayin'! :=)

sdheinens said...

Soooooo thanks for this post!!! Next year I will probably be changing my car to an suv and all the info you put about the mid size is everything I was thinking I wouldn't like. Good looking out kalee :)