Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Ron + KaLee

Recently, I was asked about the story of Ron and I.  I couldn't remember what I had documented on here, so I did a little digging.

You can read the very brief story here:  http://kaleeronnie.blogspot.com/2008/02/3-years.html

And more about our wedding day here: http://kaleeronnie.blogspot.com/2009/02/four-years-down-eternity-to-go.html

Then, about three years ago, I told the long version here: http://kaleeronnie.blogspot.com/2011/02/6-years.html

I went through my journals to see if there was any additional information worth sharing [Ron just informed me that no one cares about this, so you can stop reading now]. I did write in my journal every Sunday (roughly) from 9th grade all the way through college, so there is some good stuff in there.

Ron is mentioned in October of 2002 when I was dating his roommate.  We went on a double-date or two during that month, etc.

Then, he isn't mentioned again until the summer of 2003, when I flew to San Diego to visit my roommate Cheryl and we drove up to Huntington Beach, stayed at his house and went to a dance, the beach and other general fun.

Fast-forward a few months and he takes me out for my birthday dinner in 2003 and gives me a charm for my italian charm bracelet (it had a heart with the words "best friend" across it).  Everyone say it with me now, aaahhhhh......

For the next 9 months Ron is mentioned here and there with different group outings, or hanging out.  Then, there is a two week break in my journal writing and all of the sudden we are dating. :)

Basically, our relationship came down to guts.

Guts when I asked him if we could date in the summer of 2003 (let's remember he shut me down) and guts when he told me his feelings in the fall of 2004.

Ultimately, while we loved each other as friends, the truth of the matter is that we would not have been able to stay at that same level of friendship forever.  Eventually, if we didn't get together, one of us would have gotten a boyfriend/girlfriend and our relationship would have changed anyway.

Obviously, I'm glad it worked out the way it did and as I read my journal I can see that several other relationships didn't work out that for all intents and purposes, should have.  The Lord guides and directs us and allows us to make decisions.  If we listen to His promptings, we will be blessed.

No comments: