Monday, November 18, 2013

The Garden

When we finished the backyard last year, we built three planters along the back fence that we always planned for our garden.

This year, we planted:
Zucchini
Squash
Cucumbers
Tomatoes (cherry, heirloom and another kind - I can't remember - better boys maybe?)
Sweet Peas
Green Beans
Bell Peppers
Carrots
Green Onions
Watermelon
Strawberries
Raspberries

It was an experimental year, as I had never really grown anything and was willing to give everything a shot.

The zucchini, squash and tomatoes did awesome.  We had literally hundreds of cherry tomatoes. The peas, carrots, green onions and strawberries also did very well.

The cucumber was taken over by zucchini, the green peppers never made it to maturity and neither did the watermelon.  We were able to keep the raspberry starts alive, so in 1-2 more years we'll start to see some fruit there.

The kids loved it.  Especially Kendree.  She would weed with me for as long as I weeded.  As long as I was clear in my instructions as to what was a weed, she never made a mistake.

One thing I did not do well this year, was to document anything. The only pictures I have are ones that Ron took of our carrot harvest (after everything else had been taken in).

The mutants:


Most of our carrots this year.  I did take in about one other pan full throughout a few soup making sessions, etc. during the end of the summer.

I can't wait for next year, as I know what my family eats and what will do relatively well here now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loving your November blogging! I need to do the "how our garden did" post too.