While I know that almost every blog I read has already posted something about the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley, I wanted to share my favorite memory.I was a sophomore at BYU. It was the spring of 2003 and I was studying in the grass outside of the Talmage building awaiting the start of my Statistics class. Suddenly, three black SUVs pulled up on the sidewalk next to me and several dark suits got out. I glanced up and didn't really think anything of it.
Then, out of the corner of my eye--I saw him. President Hinckley. I happened to catch his eye and smile. He smiled back, waved and said "hello." All of the sudden, he was a real person, and that person was saying hello to me (strangely, on a campus of 30K, I was the only person in sight). I quickly said "hello" back and then watched as he proceeded through a normally-locked door of the Talmage building.
Most people that hear my story wonder why I did not rush over to shake his hand, but I didn't feel it appropriate at the time. We acknowledged each other and that was all that needed to be done.
My testimony of the power of the prophet was never stronger. I knew that Gordon B. Hinckley was a man, just as I am a woman, but his *calling* was to be the prophet and that truly came from Heavenly Father.
He will be missed.
3 comments:
What a lovely memory.
What a neat memory. He was so cool!
WOW Kalee! I think that we are all loving the memories and tributes being shared. I think that it has been amazing to see that we each have felt his love so strong, when we have thought about him, since his passing. I have no doubt that he is sharing that love with us from beyond the veil, in a very personal and real way to each of us.
I went to a fireside where his daughter was speaking. She said that she wanted us to know that her father loves us more than we could ever know. He prays constantly for us and wished that we all could know of his love. I think that is being realized over and over as we share these experiences with each other!
Post a Comment