I grew up in a game-playing family.I should probably be more specific and say that my mom was all about the games and my dad is a good sport and played because we wanted to. (Except for Pit—he regards that game as the devil).
We are also a VERY competitive family. Winning is what it is all about. We all had our specialties and would rotate through those specific games so everyone could feel dominate.
But then my parents inflicted a rule.
A rule for the winner.
The winner had to clean up. No matter the game, or by how closely he or she won, the winner had to box the game up appropriately and return it to the shelf.
As the losers, the rest of us loved the rule. The game would end, the winner would give a shout
of triumph and the rest of us would throw down the cards, pieces, or dice we were holding and run out of the room to do something else…while the winner sat alone and cleaned up.It was an effective rule to say the least and I now see the wisdom behind it.
Since Ronnie also came from a game-playing family, we enjoy playing each other. Most of the time we are pretty fairly matched (but I ALWAYS win at Boggle, and I can’t for the life of me seem to win at Monopoly). And so that our competitive natures are kept in check, I have also started to enforce the winner’s rule, (Monopoly is a lot harder to clean up than Boggle) and our marriage continues on with little conflict over games*.
*Unless I haven’t won all night, in which case, I am forced to pull out Boggle for my own piece of mind—and may throw a tiny fit in the process.
6 comments:
we discovered two fun games. "Ticket to ride" and "luck of the draw."
We miss our Settlers buddies though, and haven't had the heart to find new ones.
As if there was a question, Clay's winning game is "Scrutineyes" and mine is usually "Mexican train". (not to be mistaken with Canadian train. :)
And KaLee you can add "Canasta" to your dominations! (Thanks for always making me look good)!
we discovered two fun games. "Ticket to ride" and "luck of the draw."
We miss our Settlers buddies though, and haven't had the heart to find new ones.
As if there was a question, Clay's winning game is "Scrutineyes" and mine is usually "Mexican train". (not to be mistaken with Canadian train. :)
And KaLee you can add "Canasta" to your dominations! (Thanks for always making me look good)!
Sorry I didn't mean to publish my comment twice. But look, now you have 3 comments. I hope you feel loved!!
I challenge you to a game of boggle.
Jen-you are on--anywhere, anytime!
Jess-We have heard lots of talk about this Ticket to Ride. I guess we need to get a hold of one so we can try it out.
i wish you would amend the post to say i refuse to abide by the rule that the winner cleans up. I think that takes all the fun out of winning, and gives you reason to want to lose! I think if anything all should help clean up who just played the game.
Post a Comment