Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oh, to be 5 again: Week 6

Erc holds verbal sharing daily. The class discusses a topic and it gives each child a chance to say something in front of everyone (vital for those overly shy children). This particular day, everyone was supposed to name something that started with a “G.”

Bob*: Gecko starts with G!
Erc: That’s right Bob, great job.
Sue*: What’s a gecko?
Erc: It’s kind of like a lizard.
Ryan*: Gecko also means something else.
Erc: I don’t think so Ryan. I’m pretty sure it is just a lizard.
Ryan: No, it is also when you hear yourself over and over and over.
Other kids: Yeah, it means that too!

Erc now has to ponder for a moment about what they could possibly be talking about—then it comes to her.

Erc: Oh! Ryan, what you are talking about is an ECHO.

Gecko, echo—it’s a good thing we got that straightened out.

*Not the children's real names.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I love how all the other kids affirm that gecko does indeed mean hearing yourself over and over and over. :) So funny.