Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Breathing Again

This motherhood thing—sometimes the worrying kills me. It started at the doctor’s office. Easton had dropped percentile-wise with his weight (from 25th to just above the 15th). I got lots of questions about how often he eats, how long he eats, was I noticing a difference in my milk production, etc. It was intimidating to a new mom—and I didn’t like it one bit.

Then Easton (who was so good at switching from bottles at the sitters to me) suddenly stopped eating out of bottles. Well, not completely, but his consumption went from 4-5 ounces per feeding to 1-2 ounces. Scary. And this was AFTER the doctor weight lecture, so I got a little more stressed.

I thought it was just because I was away all day during my events two weeks ago, or that he was going through a “distraction” phase and I just needed to get as much down him as possible. Then, I began assuming that I would be leaving work three times a day to go feed him (a possibility, but definitely not ideal). And then I had one last idea.

A week previous, I had switched him from the slow flow nipples to the fast flow nipples. He was eating much quicker from me and I figured that he would appreciate the no-nonsense approach. But then, after the sudden change in consumption, I decided to switch back to the slow flow nipples.

Hallelujah!

Easton is eating again! He still gets distracted (due to his age, I’m sure), but I don’t feel stressed and can breathe again.

Note: Surprisingly, throughout this entire ordeal, he never acted differently. Same smiley, happy baby—just one with not enough food in his belly!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

"This motherhood thing—sometimes the worrying kills me."

AMEN! Just when I feel like I'm on top of things, something nags down the back of my neck until I'm all fretful (usually over nothing). Like last week when I suddenly questioned if Garrett was eating enough solid food. I literally stopped and calculated very carefully....only to realize that I'd been giving him the right amount all along. Sometimes I wish I would just stick to trusting my instincts.

Glad Easton (and you) is (are) doing better!!