Monday, December 15, 2008

Teaching

So, I teach Relief Society in my ward.

Once a month, I read the lesson, read it about five more times, prepare some questions, think about personal examples I want to share, and get ready to go.

I stick to the manual (all about Joseph Smith's teachings this year--hooray!) and the scriptures. Just like it tells you to do at the beginning of the manual.

I love it. Minimal time commitment (please don't say that comment is going to strike me down), great discussions with the women in my ward plus I get to really study what Joseph taught (although I realize I should be doing that anyway).

But, I have a little problem.

Controling my emotions.

No, I mean REALLY.

I warned the group when I first started teaching, and sometimes, when I know that the lesson is going to be particularly hard for me to get through--I warn them again.

But then things like yesterday just up and happen. The lesson seemed harmless enough. I focused on families, trust, and friendship and while telling a story about how my mom was a real friend to me in high school, I started tearing up.

No, tearing up is a bit to soft. Let's say crying openly, while trying to breathe with those gulping, gasping sounding breaths.

It took me a minute to get it under control, and then I moved on.

So what can I do? Cut onions all day long to make my eyes immune to tears? The last thing I want is less of the spirit there, but I really need to be able to talk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No, you do not want less of the Spirit there and I think that we all love to see someone have emotions and cry, then just stand there reading words and lecturing us. Someone like you can make us bring back memories and touch our hearts. I wish I was there to hear your lesson. Thank you for being so sensitive and loving. I am crying just reading this. You make a great wife for my son and a great mom for my grandson.
Love you, Karen

Claire said...

I don't really have any suggestions, but, hey, at least you're bringing a little entertainment value there! (And it's nice to see someone really believe what they're teaching.)

Anne Marie said...

Ok I used to be the same way. I think showing your emotion is ok as long as it is done in a way that doesn't make you feel embarrassed so unlike your other commenters I will say I have a suggestion. Look up at a flourescent light if possible and concentrate on your breathing. Take a few deep breaths and you should be able to continue well enough. I have never fully been able to stop showing my emotion myself but I have been able to stop the weeping and embarrassing gulps. Hope that helps. I wish I was in you RS to hear your lessons. BTW it was always my favorite calling because it was a once a month minimal time commitment. You aren't going to be struck down.