Monday, January 23, 2017

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

First, I buy the appetizer sizemeatballs at Sam's.  One step less.  I'll include the instructions for making your own, but I have never done it.

Meatballs
1 lb. ground beef
2 T. dehydrated onion
1/4 t. pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. bread crumbs

Sauce
3/4 c. brown sugar
3 T. flour
1 1/2 c. water or pineapple juice
1/4 c. white vinegar
3 T. soy sauce

1. In medium bowl, combine meatball ingredients.  Shape into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet lines with aluminum foil and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Place under the broiler in your oven for 5-7 minutes or until the meatballs begin to brown.

2. In a large saucepan, whisk together the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.  Add the meatballs and reduce heat, cover, andsimmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.

Serve over rice.

My notes: I buy the Langer's pineapple juice at wal-mart, which makes 5 batches (you may have to add a 1/4 c. of water at the end).  I boil the sauce, then separate it into 5 containers.  I freeze those sauces and then just throw the meatballs and then the frozen sauce into the crockpot on days when I want an even easier meal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I make my own meatballs every time. I usually make the 5 batches (so I make 5 lbs worth of ground beef into meatballs) and make the recipe completely. Then freeze in gallon ziplock bags.