Thursday, October 15, 2009

You know, that stuff I do in my spare time

So, my sewing machine has been kept busy this past little while. Some of you may remember that I bought a quilt kit online when I was pregnant with Easton since I was just barely getting started on this quilting stuff and was a bit nervous. You can see the post with the finished project here.

Now, I'm a bit braver and knew that I had lots of scraps to use up and the simple quilt top was perfect.

First I did a girl, flowery one.
And then I decided that a boy one needed to be made.

And finally I used some more vintage-y fabric for this one--that I love!
And, I finally decided on a pattern for the quilt that will coordinate with the crib bedding I am making. I saw this done once in a quilt shop about 4 years ago, but couldn't find a pattern I was satisfied with, so I just made one up. I know I'm a little biased, but I love it. It turned out exactly how I imagined it. I call it my Ruffle Strip Quilt.
See? You love it too. I know you do.
But now for the part where I need some help. I can't decide how I want to finish this puppy. Should I do a border* around it and then the binding**? Just a binding so the ruffles really shine?
Please help!

A little vocab help for those of you (like me 2 years ago) who had no idea what any of those fancy words mean.
*The three simple quilts above all have a border. It is the "frame" of the quilt so to speak.
**Binding is that really thin finished edge that you can see on the two quilts in this post.

15 comments:

Erica said...

Ok. So this post reminded me of how TALENTED you are! My sewing skill look amateur compared to yours. And I think you should just do a binding. Let those ruffles shine. Someday, when I am good enough. You will have to help me make one of those ruffle quilts. Every girl should have one.

Jordyn Parry said...

That is so awesome! I'm impressed! I may have to come out and visit you guys sometime and see all your fun projects!

us said...

wow. i seriously love it. i guess i ought to try making myself one. maybe...

Anne Marie said...

Ok so I'm know that quilts and blankets are different but any chance you could but a ruffle around it for binding? I think it would be so cute. Any way just a suggestion otherwise I would just bind it so as not to take away from the cuteness of the ruffles. Great job!

Melanie said...

I love your ruffle quilt! I'm going to totally steal your idea & make Leila one. And I agree with Anne Marie, if you could pull off a ruffle boarder, it would be awesome!

Cindy said...

Hey KaLee, such cuteness! Love, love, love those ruffles!

Kathryn said...

Your sewing is like perfect! How the heck you get your squares to match so perfectly is beyond me!! Jealous much!! Also, I really, really think you should do a tutorial for your ruffle quilt. I am just loving that to pieces!! Maybe I can have it mastered before a girl will ever make an appearance in this family!! hehe
Also, I think a ruffle in a thinner border or frame would be kinda cutsy, maybe the same thickness as the strips in the quilt?? It might be a bit much, I would have to see it, if you know what I mean, otherwise I would go with the bound edge.

Pedersen Posse said...

Way cute! You'll have to teach me how to do that one of these days. I vote for just the binding.

Stevens Family said...

I'm sure it'll look cute either way, but I vote for a border then binding. I'm a sucker for a border. And I kind of think a border might help the ruffles pop a little more...

Stevens Family said...

PS I love the colors on the vintage quilt! :)

Travis & Alisa said...

I LOVE your ruffle quilt! How did you do the ruffles? I think just a binding on your ruffle quilt would be perfect! You are so talented!

sdheinens said...

SO basically I hate you! You are AMAZING at everything. Seriously...mom was a great nickname for you back in the day. I am so jealous of you sewing skills and basically all of your everything else skills. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blanket though. I think a border would be cute but then I think it would just be totally cute with binding. You could use shinny binding if you wanted that look. Whatever you choose it'll be awesome though. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Lauren said...

Let me know how much you want for that cause I really would love one for baby Claire! SERIOUSLY I will pay you! SO SO CUTE! Love it!

Cameron and Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cameron and Wendy said...

I LOVE IT! I am with Lauren...you should seriously start a business cuz I would totally buy something like this! I think you should do just a binding around it, but I am sure you can't go wrong with whatever you choose!